5 Common Pet Hazards in Your Home

To commemorate National Animal Poison Prevention Week from March 19 to 25, our team wanted to share some of the typical household goods that are harmful to animals.


#1: Medicine

Be mindful of one of the most common household hazards for pets: medication. Even as small and seemingly insignificant as a single pack of beef-flavored heartworm preventives can be deadly to your pet if ingested. Furthermore, it is not uncommon for curious animals (especially food-motivated pups!) to scavenge through guests’ luggage looking for medications or snatch up dropped pills before you have time to catch them! If this ever happens, contact an animal poison control hotline immediately – remember that overdoses from medications can cause fatal reactions in pets. 

#2: The Kitchen

Your furry friend may be tempted by the kitchen’s plethora of delectable delights, but these seemingly delicious snacks can be incredibly dangerous for your pet. Chocolate, macadamia nuts, xylitol, avocados and unbaked yeast dough are just a few examples of toxic foods that can lead to serious illnesses such as kidney failure or seizures; alcohol poisoning and extreme hypoglycemia should also not be overlooked! Put an end to counter-surfing pets in the kitchen with preventative measures like investing in a locking trashcan – it will keep those inquisitive noses at bay! 

#3: Household chemicals

In order to ensure your pet’s safety, make sure to securely store the following hazardous household chemicals away from their reach:

  • Cleaning products
  • Disinfectants
  • Aerosol air fresheners and other products
  • Candles
  • Antifreeze
  • Windshield washer fluid
  • Paint
  • Glue
  • Nail polish remover


#4: Greenery

Although houseplants can be an attractive addition to any home, they often contain hazardous chemicals that may harm your beloved pet. Lilies are a prime example of this – even pollen is fatal for cats! Some other plants to watch out for include dieffenbachia, elephant ear and spider plants – as well as ivy and oleander outdoors. To ensure you aren’t unknowingly putting your furry friend in danger, it’s always best to consult with the ASPCA’s toxic plant list before purchasing or adding greenery to your home or garden. 

#5: Batteries and coins

Ingesting batteries and coins can be highly toxic, leading to severe metal poisoning. If your pet chews on or punctures the battery, they may suffer chemical burns too. Furthermore, swallowing an intact battery whole could become a life-threatening gastrointestinal blockage.

If you think your pet has been in contact with a toxic substance, contact our team immediately.